20050707

lucky

Yes, I was scared and shocked. I was supposed to leave early this morning for Russell Square, but did not leave with N. -- for whatever reason who knows. I had to get there by 12.30 at the latest, but was up at 8.00 am, so could have left early. Can you believe it? N. phoned me as soon as he found out what was going out (I had the radio on but they were talking about Christopher Marlowe -- very interesting -- while the bombs were blasting in various places. Pretty ironic, don't you think?). N. told me it would be best if I didn't leave the house today, I tried to contact SOAS and Senate House, but could get no response -- the lines were dead. Then I heard a bus had blown up in Russell Sq., plus an underground problem between there and the next station and I sat here trembling all morning (and even perhaps this afternoon). Who is interested in that area of the city? What I call my area: the School of Oriental and African Studies and the British Library. It is extraordinary. Last week I spent the whole week in Russell Square as I went to the first Africa-Europe Group of Interdisciplinary Studies Conference. Oh, I am lucky.
Thanks so much for writing. I feel so impotent, as I was told to stay at home even if my "linguistic skills" might have been needed today, abrazos, C.
PS Silver lining. N. had to walk home from work this evening. I heard earlier, strangely from a friend in Mexico, that it had taken his brother 6 hours to get home -- walking... no buses or trains during the day.

---------------------------------------------------------

yes, chrltt is lucky and her prose is one of the best in the world.
i wish i hadn't needed to ask her if she was alive.

No hay comentarios.: